Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sun Ray Soft Client

This entry has been migrated from my Sun Microsystems blog. Srepetsk.net is the only blog of mine that is being updated at the current time.

Sun Ray Soft Client

I downloaded the Sun Ray soft client last night, and I have to say it looks pretty darned neat. The setup I have is sort of unusual, but the program adapts well. I’m running Windows 7 – a supported platform for the soft client – on my laptop, and have it’s VGA output connected up to my Sun Ray 270, which is connected to the Sun Ray servers at TJHSST. I have the soft client running on my laptop’s secondary monitor, and I can just use the “Source” button on the 270 to switch between the two inputs.

From what I can tell, there’s only a slightly noticeable difference between speed on the soft client and the native firmware. I haven’t tried any hard-core video playing like William has, but it seems like it would be more than satisfactory for most of computer users. One thing I’ve noticed when using it on the secondary output is that it doesn’t use the bottom 10-20% of the monitor for the login screen. Once you login it rescales to use the full monitor, but that’s only a minor complaint.

Can’t wait for SRS 5 EA2!

Check out this link for more information on Sun Ray, Sun Ray Server 5, and the Soft Client solution

[127.0.0.1 blogs.sun.com/skr]